Monday, April 21, 2008

Let the Fundraising Begin!!

Ladies and Gents...


I am registered for the NYC Marathon.


I am registered with Fred's Team.


I have some very special news to share with you all soon about my run this year. I'm sure it's okay to say it out loud, but just in case not, I'll just give you a spoiler -- check the new "Important Links" section on the right side of the page.

So...

LET THE FUNDRAISING BEGIN!

Yes, I am shameless.

As excited as I am about running NYC Marathon #3, I am more excited about being a part of Fred's Team and raising money for the Aubrey Fund for Pediatric Cancer Research at MSKCC. I want to raise $6,000. My Team webpage says I'm only raising $3,000, but I want to DOUBLE that! Do I have faith that I will raise $6,000? YES, I DO. Not only because it is an important cause, but because I have so many amazing friends, family members, fellow runners, and blog readers across the country and around the world who feel that if a cause is so important to someone that they're willing to put their bodies on the line for it, that's a cause worth supporting.

But Marci, the marathon is in November. Why start fundraising now?


Because pediatric cancer is not seasonal.


My first e-mail blast will be going out shortly. However, if you want to join the Honor Roll now,
please click here, or at the links at the side or bottom of the page.

I'm telling you now, while I am positive that I will finish this year's marathon, and finish strong, it's not going to be easy. I am currently down here in Florida, and I am having a lot of difficulty coping with the humidity. It may just be Florida -- I've had this problem before, where I can't run in Florida heat, but I can in NYC -- but given that the majority of our training takes place during the summer, it's going to get worse before it gets better.

I saw a naturopath last week, and after talking with him about my problems with the humidity and also my PMS (did I mention I was shameless?) we both feel that these may be interconnected. Yes, I am a woman of a certain age, and while I'm still, um, fertile, I think certain changes are on the horizon. It's affecting a lot of things, but definitely my running. I want to be able to get my body back in balance, for my training and for my overall health. The doctor gave me some stuff to take, which I'm taking, and I hope it will work. The biggest problem is -- I'm supposed to take them between meals, on an empty stomach. I have no "between" meals! I eat all day!

I am also trying to adjust by not turning on the a/c at night. It's been kind of cool here in the evenings, and with a fan, a normal person would be okay. I, however, am not normal. I love it ice-cold at night, I have trouble sleeping otherwise. But I'm trying.

If anyone has tips, tricks and advice for dealing with the heat, let me know!!

Did y'all see the Boston Marathon today? WOW! Heading out soon for a run myself, in the heat, I'm so inspired!! And I did sign up for the 10K on Saturday morning, so I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Oh my -- and our names look somewhat similar, at least on first glance, Maria, Marci.

Thanks for leaving your comment. Definitely let me know about any training runs you're getting together for.

I'll also put a link to your page on my blog! Good luck, and I can't wait to read through some of your posts!