Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Annual Appeal

At the age of three, Liam Witt was diagnosed with neuroblastoma, a rare cancer of the nervous system. I met him two years ago, and as many of you know, ran last year’s NYC Marathon in his honor. He's already undergone multiple surgeries and procedures that would devastate an adult. Yet he never complains, begs to go to school even if his treatments leave him bald, and is an inspiration to everyone he meets. He's certainly mine.

Liam just finished his 6th round of 3F8 antibody treatment, a treatment currently available only at MSKCC and one other hospital in the world. This treatment, developed at MSKCC with Fred’s Team money, has raised the cure rate for neuroblastoma from less than 20 percent to just under 60 percent.

Thanks to you, Liam celebrated his fifth birthday yesterday.

To make sure that Liam, and the other children at MSKCC, get to celebrate many more birthdays, I am lacing up my shoes to run the NYC Marathon for Fred’s Team for the fourth time. I know times are tough and money is tight, but may I ask you once again to donate to my Fred's Team effort this year?

The easiest way to donate is to click here. It will take you to my Fred’s Team home page, and you can pay with a credit card (do not use autofill to fill in your address, it does something odd to the form.)

If you would prefer to support me with a check, please make it payable to "MSKCC" and send it directly to me. I will take care of adding my race ID numbers and sending it to MSKCC. My address is: 152 W. 58th Street #2D, New York, NY 10019-2111.

If your company offers matching donations, please send me the form. I will fill it out and send it in to MSKCC.

Please read about Liam and his amazing journey by clicking on his mother's blog, "Prince Liam the Brave," at the link to the right of the page.

On behalf of Prince Liam and myself, thank you once again for your unstinting support.

Love always,

Marci

No comments: