Tuesday, July 10, 2007

First Injury of the Season

I am not at tonight's speed workout.

Monday morning I woke up unable to bend. My back was absolutely killing me. For the life of me, I can't figure out what happened. If I hurt myself during the Saturday workout, why did it wait until Monday to manifest itself? As the proud owner of a herniated disk (for which I had surgery two years ago) anything involving back pain sets off the alarm. I did all of my PT exercises, and even ran on the treadmill, which didn't aggravate the pain any but certainly didn't feel too good. Anyways, I think it's more of a muscle strain than a disk thing, since it's responding better to heat than to cold. It's also higher on my back than my surgery site. Unless, of course, I've developed a brand-new problem...but I'm looking at this through a half-full glass. I'm also, amazingly for me, going to try that "ounce of prevention" thing and that's why I'm taking an extra day off. It's also 86 degrees out, and my loathing of running in the heat is well-known.

I am paranoid that skipping one workout is going to destroy any momentum I've had. I know it's not true, but I feel it nonetheless. So even though I'm in the a/c splendor of my home, I feel terrible. But I know in my heart of hearts I'm doing the right thing by taking an extra day off. Therefore, nothing too huge to report today.

In other news, I'm taking the notary public test tomorrow morning. Should be fun.

Oh, did I tell y'all? Two seconds of background: I sent Mayor Bloomberg a letter asking for a Fred's Team donation. Well, a couple of weeks ago I got a call from his office letting me know that the Mayor did get my letter, and wanted me to know that he already donates to Memorial Sloan-Kettering and to Fred's Team in general. So there ya have it. But I thought it was cool that I got personalized service.

Short and sweet. I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow, and no matter what, I'll be at Thursday's workout. Until then...

2 comments:

Stuart said...

Fingers crossed for you back and good luck on your exam - you'll cruise it!

Stuart said...

Fingers crossed on your back and good luck on your exam - you'll cruise it!