Saturday, July 7, 2007

A Red-Letter Running Day, plus Contest Results and Contest #3

Join me in acknowledging the latest members of the Fred's Team honor roll:
JOELLE SELLNER
JENNIE GRACE GONGLEWSKI
BILL IRWIN
ROBERT GLOTZER

Total to date:

$3,381

I am truly blessed to have you wonderful people support me.

We start off with contest #2 winner. As you may or may not recall, the question this week was...what is the Engineer's Gate, and what is its significance to this blog.

The answer: The Engineer's Gate is the entrance to Central Park at 90th St. & 5th Avenue. All the main entrances to the Park are called Gates. Why, I know not. There are no swinging gates or anything, it's just an entrance. Maybe it's because it's a break in the wall that surrounds the Park. Anyway, that particular gate is located a block from the New York Road Runner's Club, and is nicknamed, "The Runner's Gate." There is a statue of Fred Lebow, patron saint of NY runners and the Fred behind "Fred's Team," at this gate.

So, there ya go. And the winner is...
JAY FISCHLER!!

Jay, you have a choice of prizes, as I am feeling magnanimous. Prize #1 -- the NYC Marathon t-shirt (size XL) from contest #1, or...you can choose prize #2 that's hiding behind the curtain...
Please e-mail me and let me know.

Contest #3 is at the end of this post, which is coming up soon, 'cause man, I'm beat after this morning's 13 miler.

So we're at half-marathon distance (almost, 13.1 to be precise.) And alls I have to say about this morning's run is -- WILL YOU LOOK AT THAT TIME?? Yikes!! Of course, me being me, my thrill over that time is overshadowed by my not-so-good last 4 miles. It got hot and humid and I wilt like a delicate flower in the humidity. I had to take a couple of walk breaks, and my right ass bone -- there's no other way to describe it, it's like where the top of the thigh bone meets the ass cheek -- was getting sore and twingy. So those ended up being 10-minute miles. I know, poor me. Now, there are some people on our Team who make running look effortless, like Michelle. I am convinced she doesn't break a sweat. I wish I could run more like her, not necessarily the speed (because she's fast) as much as the effortlessness. I do try to enjoy myself when I run, enjoy the journey, but I'm not sure it shows in my stride. I'm not trying to show people, "Look how I enjoy myself!" but to have a nice, easy stride, moving forward, not struggling. That kind of thing. I have really been working on this, especially this last week.

Today, for the first time ever, I finished alongside Michelle. That meant a lot to me, and Michelle, if you are reading this, your encouragement and compliments just about made my year.

Today was also a red-letter day because I had my first ice bath of the training season. For the uninitiated, an ice bath is exactly that -- you sit in a tub full of ice cubes and cold water. It helps to reduce the swelling in your legs (it also numbs you up so you don't feel the achiness as much.) I keep on my shorts, add a sweatshirt and hat, and drink hot coffee while I'm sitting in there. It's a special little slice o' hell. The first time my roommate Laura came home and caught me in one, I thought she would never stop laughing. It is a rather unique look. I will shame myself by getting a picture next time.

Okay, off to get my hair cut, at long last, so I leave you with...
CONTEST #3
open to all!!

Question: Who -- or what -- is Team Hoyt?

Send your answers to me at mgcontest@earthlink.net

Contest ends Friday, July 13, at some point in the evening.

No comments: